Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are…
Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect Tomorrow.
One day I shall dig my nails into the earth,
or bury my face in my pillow,
or stretch myself taut, or raise my hands to the sky
and want, more than all the world, your return.
- Mary Jean Iron

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Crockpot shredded chicken sandwiches

Slow-Cooker Thursday Crockpot Chicken Sandwiches...for more slow-cooker Thursday recipes, head over to Sandra's.
I still have a couple of family favorites around before I have to resort to actually trying new recipes so I can find new favorites to post! It's a good thing too--I have done absolutely no cooking this week due to spring break. It's been fun, but I think by next week I'll be ready to get back to it.


My family loves this crockpot shredded chicken sandwich recipe. It's good, soothing comfort food at its finest, and again, it's Mom friendly. It can be prepared ahead and reheated, it keeps for several days, and it can be frozen. When reheating, sometimes I add a little bit of chicken broth, or even water in a pinch, to keep the consistency right. It can be frozen in a big block, or for individual servings, freeze it in an ice cube tray, then pop out the cubes and store in the freezer in a freezer bag. They reheat in the microwave really quickly that way. My DS and DD like to take these sandwiches to school for lunch too. I just heat the filling in the morning, put it in a warmed up thermos and put a bun in their lunch. At lunchtime they just make up their sandwich, and they're good to go. Like I said, it's very mom-friendly! I hope you enjoy it too.

Crockpot Chicken Sandwiches
1 can (50 oz) boned chicken, undrained (I much prefer the GFS brand of chicken, what I get in the grocery store often more closely resembles cat food--I think I would prefer to use 3lbs. of chicken that I cook myself and shred, than use the supermarket canned chicken again. When I prepare chicken like this, I just put the chicken, still frozen, in the crockpot the night before and let it cook all night on low. In the morning, it's ready to use.)
1 10 3/4 oz. can cream of chicken soup (low-fat, low sodium work fine)

1 sleeve (inner package) buttery oval crackers, such as Town House, crushed (low-fat work fine Ritz work too.)

Mix all ingredients together in slow cooker. Cook on low 4 hours. Serve on buns. Makes a bunch! My family really enjoys these on wheat buns, especially mini ones like Aunt Millie's Whole Grain Dinner Rolls. (no, I'm not paid to say that, it's just what we like!)

14 comments:

TAMY & the SGT said...

sounds so yummy and easy!

mjpuzzlemom said...

This looks good. Thanks for sharing!

MJ

Renee' said...

Sounds great! Thanks for sharing.

Renee'
http://simplecookinghappyhome.blogspot.com/

Tammi said...

Ohhh. This sounds so good! Thanks for sharing.

Betsy said...

Yum! Sounds like a good one!

Mari said...

I have a recipe that is almost the same but uses cream of celery soup. Yummy!

Sandra said...

My kind of meal, looks so good.

Rick Rack Attack said...

Jumping in a bit late, but just stumbled upon ya'll for Slow Cooking Thursday! I'll be back for more each week.

Confessions of an Apron Queen: http://anapronaday.blogspot.com

Kathryn said...

That sounds so yum! I must use my crockpot more often!

Tanya said...

Oh that does sound like a yummy comfort food! Dang, I forgot the slow cooker thursday again!

Don Mills Diva said...

That's sounds awesome - I'm always looking for good crock-pot recipes!

Anonymous said...

I have had this but my recipe uses 5 chicken breasts-cooked and shredded. One bbbbox Stove Top stuffing prepared as per box instructions. Mix in one can cream of chicken soup and one 16 oz. carton of sour cream. Put all into a crock pot on low for 6-8 hours. Some add a dry packet of ranch dressing for seasoning but I find pepper and a dab of garlic powdwer does just as well as the Stove Top is already seasoned. This is good cold as well as hot.

ozzie said...

I made this gluten free. I browned my chicken breast in olive oil, pepper, garlic powder & onion powder. strained off oil & added 2 Cups chicken broth & let it simmer until i could shred it. then i used 1/2 cup gluten free panco style bread crumbs, 1 tsp boullion, 1 cup broth, 1 tbsp butter, 1 cup crushed potato chips, 1 16 oz sour cream, parsley, garlic powder, onion powder & pepper....it was soooo good!

Anonymous said...

Mine is one lg can of boned chicken, 2 small cans of cream of chicken soup, and half a bag of herb stuffing. Mix all together in a crock pot and heat up. The herb stuffing gives it tons of flavor. I will have to try ur recipe next!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...