Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are…
Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect Tomorrow.
One day I shall dig my nails into the earth,
or bury my face in my pillow,
or stretch myself taut, or raise my hands to the sky
and want, more than all the world, your return.
- Mary Jean Iron

Monday, November 10, 2008

Comfort Food

Octomom's daughter, 4 of 8, had surgery on Friday. Thankfully, all went well, and now she has the task of recovering. One of their neighbors brought over some food Friday evening, and Octomom wrote about how that not only filled their tummies but also their hearts. The comfort food she happened to bring, chicken spaghetti, garlic bread, fresh salad and layered dessert, was right out of their comfort food handbook. Octomom wrote of how even though they are many miles from family, God can give us family wherever we are. Last year, right before Christmas, our Pastor gave a beautiful sermon about what it means to be a Christian. She spoke of the importance of sharing God's love with others, not necessarily by saying God loves you, but in how we interact with others. The harried cashier that we make sure we're pleasant to, etc. That sermon really resonated with me. Octomom's post today was also a good reminder about how sharing a meal with a family that could use a break, is a good way to share God's love with others.

I used to head up a ministry at our previous church called the One Another Ministry. Did you know that the phrase "One Another" is the most repeated phrase in the bible? Our ministry was designed to share God's love with "one another". To do what we could to ease each other's way in life. We would take meals to new mom's or people who had just had surgery. We would provide meals if there was a death in the family. Once, some people got together and grocery shopped for our family when they knew that would be extremely helpful. I loved that Ministry. I love the idea of sharing the love God has for us with others in a tangible way.

Octomom asked about the dishes we have that transcend taste and speak to our souls. What an appropriate day to be asking that. Mark was sick all weekend and is still sick today. He went to work, because he felt like he had to, but I know once he gets home, he's going to be DONE! For dinner, I'm making Tuna Casserole with Rice Pudding for dessert. For him, that will speak comfort food. When I think of comfort food, I always think of my grandma's Chicken and Rice. I don't know if it's reality or memory, but it seems like every time we went to visit my grandma she made her Chicken and Rice with "greasy green beans". Yum. I'm not sure what comfort food means to my children, it will make for an interesting dinner conversation tonight. Homemade matzo ball soup might come up, or chicken and noodles or dumplings. Beef Stew and Pot Roast might be mentioned as well. I am curious.

Octomom has a Mr. Linky up for people to share their comfort foods. Go check it out. Before you do though, leave me a little note and let me know what says comfort food to you.

Rice Pudding
Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook
6 cups whole milk
1 cup arborio rice
1/2 cup sugar
2T butter
1/4 tsp. salt
Combine in a 3-quart saucepan. Cook over medium-heat, stirring frequently, until mixture just starts to simmer. Reduce heat, cover, and let simmer 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Remove from heat.

Stir in 2 tsp. vanilla extract. Serve warm or cold, topped with cinnamon.

Grandma's Chicken and Rice
Meaty Chicken parts
2 cans cream of chicken soup (healthy version is fine)
2 cans cream of celery soup
2 cans Golden Mushroom soup
1 can water
11/2 cups long grain rice
Combine soups, water and rice. Put in bottom of 13x9" casserole. Top with chicken parts. Bake at 300 degrees for 3 hours.

Greasy Green Beans
lots of green beans, ends snapped
1 or 2 onions, chunked
1 or 2 ham hocks
Combine in a crockpot and cook on low for 24 hours.

12 comments:

Tanya said...

My grandma used to make bread pudding that I loved!
Funny, I haven't tried to make it ever.
I'm trying to think of comfort foods growing up but weird, can't think of much right now but my mom made a swiss steak that I always loved.
I know my daughter would say roast, or chicken fried steak,mashed potatoes.
Tonight we are having chicken (it cooks till it's all shredded) with gravy and egg noodles (another thing Ashlyn loves!)with green beans cooked with bacon, yum...I'm guessing that was your "greasy beans" lol.

Kat said...

Oh yeah! Beef stew would definitely be on my comfort food list! :)

Lizzie said...

anything i don't have to cook is comfort food! hee hee (i wish i liked to cook, really i do... it would make life so much easier!)

I have fond memories after each of my kids were born and the church brought meals for a week. it was so wonderful, helpful, an answer to prayer. We aren't near family and it made feeling so alone bringing a baby home much easier.

Pam said...

I just wanted to say that after my husband left us we had meals coming in for three months solid... i can never tell you how much this meant to me... because i didn't even consider cooking... and i lost so much weight, i don't think i considered eating either... so my kids were blessed. we were all so blessed.

i have had the privledge of sharing meals with my sister and her family as they are in a busy season right now... it is always so appreciated.

comfort food for me... any type of potato, or bread.

Kimber said...

Wow, looks like I hit the jackpot by clicking on your blog link. I just love new recipes. The chicken and rice recipe in your post sounds yummy.

monica said...

chicken 'n' dumplings and banana pudding.

makes me all warm and fuzzy just thinking about them

and i have discovered comfort foods in my new home, too. fried rice and sticky rice and mango.

noble pig said...

Those greasy beans sound delicious! I love that.

MomOf3 said...

Our mother's ministry down here has sign-ups to bring meals to new moms. These are some awesome recipies! I usually bring Chicken Pot Pie. :)

Kelli @ Gohn Crazy said...

(wet) Chicken Pot Pie Mmmmm Right there is the ultimate comfort food. I have yet to try to make this for myself. I must really learn one of these years.

Thank you for this post. I got a notice from our playgroup of over 65 members that they needed meals for mommies. It was even my zipcode and I just left it go. i thought it was a good idea but at the same time it may not be very convenient. I read your first paragraph and left to e-mail the organizer telling her to count me in. Thank you for reminding me to take care of "One Another".

Cecily R said...

Both those recipes sound delicious! Whenever a new baby is born in our neighborhood I try to sign up to bring food. I am by no means a great cook, but I so appreciated the times when people brought it to us after an illness or having a baby. It feels good to reciprocate that feeling!

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

In our church our ladies organization, the Relief Society, does just that, brings in meals, helps with daily chores, or drops by for a visit. It is nice to serve others and it is nice to be the one served!
Comfort food to me is homemade pizza and tacos easy and good.

Shellie said...

Lasagne, but after I had twins, we received almost a solid week of lasagne from different church members one night after another. We had to laugh, but then we'd had our lasagne fix and didn't need it again for a long time! I also LOVE pozole. I have a recipe somewhere back in the archives of my blog.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...