- Our girls' weekend--it didn't happen. Jacob's been really struggling this spring with being sick, allergies, both, I have no idea. Anyway he doesn't feel good, really, really doesn't feel good, and the weekend they were supposed to go caving in another state it became apparent that was a bad idea so they didn't go. I got lots of good ideas, some great advice, and I feel well prepared for that time in the future when (hopefully) Mark and Jacob will be able to take off for a scouting weekend. Thank you!
- Mark's business trip. Mark was in Puerto Rico the past 4 days. As always in life, it wasn't the four days I had planned. Some things were better, some things not so much, but all in all the kids and I had a good time. Thursday was absolutely heavenly. I took Thursday and Friday off work and Thursday I met a good friend for a long breakfast. Then I had a doctor's appointment where I (sadly) learned I have a lot to work on--exercise, doing things for me, rinse, repeat. After the doctor's appointment it was off to the spa for my birthday present from Jason, Lori and Rebekah--a manicure and pedicure! So much fun! I felt completely spoiled and indulged, two lovely feelings, and my nails looked pretty too. After lunch, I went to a local french cafe and, as it was a beautiful day, had lunch in the courtyard--french onion soup and caesar salad. I even splurged on caramel flan for dessert. Absolutely heavenly! [It'd be so much easier to exercise, spend time on me without the realities of life, eh?] Which was a very good thing because...
- When Jacob got home it soon became apparent he was a mess. Whatever he's struggling with, be it allergies, illness or some combination, it is ugly and truly getting him down. It's hard to not feel good all the time.
- Friday, brought a wonderful surprise and Rebekah came home, and came home early! I was able to pick her up at 10:00! She had planned on coming home for the weekend, but she thought it would be more like 8:00 Saturday night. To have that extra time with her was wonderful. Good sport that she is, she didn't even complain when we had to head straight to the allergist with Jacob. Luckily I was able to get him in on short notice, even luckier than I had the day off. Diagnosis: severe allergies/mild asthma, lots of expensive medications. (Close to $400!! for those monthly medications. Not sure how we're going to do that month after month. I do not know what the answers are, and I do not want to get into any political debates (neither side has a plan or any interest in helping families like ours anyway), but our family (thank God!) has no serious medical issues yet spends $1300 a month on our insurance premium, prescriptions and doctor payments. I do not know how long that is sustainable.) Anyway, one of these medications concerns me, there are some potentially serious psychological side effects, I'm not sure I'm 100% committed to him staying on it, but to get his allergies/asthma under control, we'll give it a go, at least in the short term. We also learned that (thankfully) Jacob's not allergic to the guinea pigs, as I had begun to fear, but is extremely allergic to the hay that they eat. I'll be researching alternatives that hopefully will not bother him.
- Saturday Matthew's soccer game was mercifully rained out (lower 50's and rainy is not my idea of a good time), so Jason, Lori and the kids came here for lunch and the kids played for a while. After they left Rebekah did homework, Jacob was basically a blob on the couch, snuggling and trying to feel better, and Julianna played. It was definitely a cozy afternoon. We capped it off with a trip to our favorite ice cream place (yes, in the cold, we're die-hard ice cream fans) and pizza later. You know, for dessert. :)
- Sunday we made homemade pizza, baked some cookies and took Rebekah back to school. :/ Mark was supposed to get in at 7:20, at 10:30 he was finally on the ground safely.
This week is plenty of normal, which sounds lovely, with the exception of Tuesday. Tuesday evening we're headed to meet author Marc Brown which, even at their ages, Jacob and Julianna are extremely excited about. Other than that my week consists of dance lessons, piano lessons, cooking, cleaning, laundering and it sounds just about perfect. Hope you have a good week too as we move ever closer to summer break. Four more Mondays, six more Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, and five more Fridays...I can do it!