Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are…
Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect Tomorrow.
One day I shall dig my nails into the earth,
or bury my face in my pillow,
or stretch myself taut, or raise my hands to the sky
and want, more than all the world, your return.
- Mary Jean Iron

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Family Dinner

***30 Days of Thankfulness***

Today, I'm thankful for Sunday dinners.  We did an old-fashioned Sunday dinner at 12:30, after church, after Sunday School, after Sunday School Program practice.  We enjoyed a yummy roasted chicken, an awesome new wild rice recipe, Brussels sprouts (Jacob declared them the best he's had, but that's not something I could ever say about Brussels sprouts), and my favorite salad--romaine, spinach, apples, dried cherries, sugared pecans and a maple-mustard vinaigrette.  The food was lovely, but what really stood out was the  companionship.  Again, the time to check in with each other, to laugh, plot out the week ahead, enjoy each other.  So thankful we take the time for family dinners. 

Although I enjoy special meals, I'm realizing more and more that it's not really about what we're eating or even where we're eating, it's purely about us being together.  It's that simple.  Taking the time, being together, staying connected.  It can happen over a Roast Chicken Sunday dinner or it can happen at Steak and Shake.  It's just about intentionally being together, talking, connecting.

I have one child grown and gone, one child almost completely grown, and two children left full-time at home.  One of the best things we have done as parents is maintain closeness as a family.  That may be the most important thing in the world to me and I'm very thankful for it.  I truly believe family dinners, making it a priority to be together once a day in a meaningful way is a big part of the setting the roots of being close to each other.

1 comment:

Life in a Small Town said...

I love family dinners! They're few and far between now, though, with OS living in the next state & MS busy with college (even though he's only 15 minutes away!). Glad you had a good time!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...