Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are…
Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect Tomorrow.
One day I shall dig my nails into the earth,
or bury my face in my pillow,
or stretch myself taut, or raise my hands to the sky
and want, more than all the world, your return.
- Mary Jean Iron

Monday, November 19, 2012

MPM November 19, 2012

***30 Days of Thankfulness***
 
So thankful to have plans to share this Thanksgiving with all of our children, grandchildren, our daughter-in-law and my parents.  Our house will be crowded, chaotic, loud and filled with love and I shall love every minute of it.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 
 
I have as a goal to stop feeling as though I need two more weeks everytime there's a major holiday or a birthday or some other special event.  I do it every time..."if I only had two more weeks until __________, then I'd be ready".  Do you do that, or are you amazingly organized and ready for holidays in advance?  Or, do you not make holidays huge stressful deals so there's nothing to feel like you need two more weeks for?

Anyway, this year I'm floating somewhere in the middle.  I'm wishing I had two more weeks, I think I'd be in much better shape if I did, but also acknowledging that's not likely (Ha!) to happen so pulling it together in a lower key way anyway.  We're hosting Thanksgiving, as is our tradition, so this week will be devoted mostly to that.

Here's what we'll be eating this week:

Monday:  Breakfast burritos--if I can get to the grocery store for tortillas, or maybe I'll be a masochist and make some from scratch.  With four little people, making from scratch actually seems less overwhelming than a quick trip to the store for one thing.  Making tortillas from scratch is something I've always wanted to do, I'm just not sure the week of Thanksgiving is when I envisioned doing it.  Either way, I'll whip up a batch of breakfast potatoes, I finally learned how to make good ones, thanks to Smitten Kitchen; brown some sausage, scramble some eggs and warm the tortillas.  I'll put all that out with salsas, cheese, jalapenos, hot sauce and whatever else looks good at the time and everyone can make their own to suit their tastes.  Then, before we'll eat, we'll wrap them in foil because Jacob and Julianna make a very compelling case that everything tastes better wrapped in foil.  :)  Fruit will be on the side.

Tuesday (sax lesson):  Some kind of a riff on Johnny Marzetti, this riff on it from Michael Ruhlman looks yummy.  So does this one from Saveur.  I'll do some type of veggie or salad, and, if I'm feeling particularly ambitious, garlic knots.

Wednesday I won't need to cook, which is a blessing as I'll be baking pies and doing all sorts of other things.

Thanksgiving:  Still a work in progress, I can't decide what I'm going to do for brunch.  At this point, I'm leaning toward:
          Ham, cheese and egg breakfast roll-ups
          Cheese and fruit

I was debating a coffee cake, but I think I'm starting to lean toward no.  We'll see.  If I do one, it'll be a Cinnamon Streusel one.  If I decide I do want to offer something sweet, but with minimal effort, I'll pop in some Pillsbury cinnamon rolls, always a family favorite.  I'm also kicking around making Mark some cranberry-orange quick bread, he loves it.

For Thanksgiving dinner, here's what's on the menu:
          Roast Turkey with bread stuffing
          Yukon Gold mashed potatoes w/ gravy*
          The Holy Grail of sweet potatoes
          Pioneer Woman's cranberry sauce
          Succotash
          Broccoli/Cauliflower Cheese gratin casserole
          Orange Jell-O salad
          Pumpkin rolls (seriously, amazing and easy)
          cornbread

*(I'm making turkey stock ahead of time, in hopes it makes the gravy easier.

For dessert, we'll have Pumpkin pie, pecan pie, and apple pie with ice cream and/or whipped cream.  I can't decide what pumpkin pie recipe I'll use, though I'm leaning toward one by Martha Stewart.  I'm also thinking about putting it in a gingersnap crust, we'll see.  It's been a few years since I made an apple butter pumpkin pie, I might put that on the menu as well.  In our family, I think the dinner is almost immaterial, everyone seems to look forward most of all to the pie.

Friday, sadly, we have to take Rebekah back to school, very short break for her this year, and I am definitely not cooking.  We'll probably have leftovers before we take her back though.

Saturday we have Matt and Lily all day.  I'm envisioning Chuck E Cheese for lunch, but we'll see.  Again, I doubt I'll do much cooking.

Sunday will probably be leftovers.


Hope your Thanksgiving will be filled with blessings.  I'll be thinking of those of you I know are especially hurting this year, and those I know have loved ones far from home.

3 comments:

Erin Branscom said...

Those ham and cheese breakfast roll ups look great! :) I have a menu Monday link up if you want to link up every week. Have a great week! Erin

http://erinbrans.com/2012/11/menu-monday-whats-for-dinner-2.html

Life in a Small Town said...

I'm going to have to check out all of those recipes when I have time this evening! Everything sounds so good! Breakfast burritos are definitely the way to go when there's a crowd.

Becca said...

What a huge week you have planned! I am going to be making 2 sour cream apple pies and 2 pumpkin pies on Wednesday so I am going to be busy also!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...