Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are…
Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect Tomorrow.
One day I shall dig my nails into the earth,
or bury my face in my pillow,
or stretch myself taut, or raise my hands to the sky
and want, more than all the world, your return.
- Mary Jean Iron

Friday, January 25, 2013

Friday's Fave Five...Jan 25

Living to Tell the Story


I'm back!  I can not believe I've been "gone" so long.  While I'd love to grab a cuppa and sit and catch up, it's not meant to be.  I have apx. 5 minutes, maybe, to get this out, and I definitely want to jump back in.

Five of my favorite things from the past week (I warn you, it's been an extremely blessed week).

  1. My new van!!!  My lease was up next month.  Always an extremely stressful time for me.  We were over the mileage, I worried about the amount of wear and tear, I worried about affording something else, I worried and worried and worried.  Amidst all that worrying,  I prayed, repeatedly, that things would work out.  They definitely did!  I knew exactly what I wanted, I've had two Odysseys and I knew I wanted another one.  I knew which model.  I even knew which color I preferred.  So, I went online, filled out a credit app for a local dealership [Honda Marysville if you're local.  I highly recommend Jennifer Falcon and her team, very pleasant and easy experience], received a quote and basically did the whole thing over the Internet.  We went and signed the paperwork Saturday and picked it up, never even having driven it before.  Thankfully, we loved it every bit as much as I knew we would.  It is awesome!  Best of all, we bought it, so no end-of-lease stress in three years.  I love it so much and I'm thankful that everything went so easily. When we came out of the dealership there was a banner across the windshield signed by employees of the dealership, thanking us and wishing us well.  So cool!
  2. My new laptop!  My parents had bought me a laptop as a present almost three years ago.  It had been having problems for months and Mark finally convinced me in December, (December 19, not coincidentally the date of my last blog post) to take it in to Best Buy as I had an extended warranty that would be expiring soon.  Sooo, long story short, they tried for a month and could not fix it.  Every time they thought it was fixed, it wasn't.  Finally, they called uncle and declared it a lemon.  The good news is that means they give you replacement cost.  Of course replacement cost isn't exactly what it costs to replace it with a new model, but we were able to put some money into it and bought a new, very nice laptop with an equally nice extended warranty so if it prematurely dies again we'll be protected.  Love having a laptop again.
  3. New babies.  I started a new baby at work this week.  Oh my goodness, I'd forgotten how wonderful new babies are.  This little one is absolutely adorable and he loves to snuggle.  It's only been two days, but so far everyone including this little one is adjusting beautifully and I am very thankful.  Such a privilege to be part of a baby's growth and development right from the very beginning.
  4. Smoothies.  Blenders.  Frozen Fruit.  My 12 year old, like a lot of us, doesn't really get anywhere near the daily recommendations for servings of fruits and veggies.  He's a good veggie eater, he'll eat most any of them, but still that translates to one serving or maybe 1 1/2-2 per day.  I always put a fruit or vegetable in his lunch, so we're up to 3, max.  He never chooses fruit at breakfast or for a snack.  Recently, I tried making him smoothies with his breakfast and he loves them!  I buy frozen fruit and pour about a cup in our blender.  I add 1/2 cup of milk, 1/2 cup of OJ (I'm going to experiment with doing all milk), about a tablespoon of Greek yogurt (no idea why, it was in the original recipe I followed, he drank it, so I don't mess with success), a teaspoon or so of sugar and sometimes a banana.  Just blend it up, pour into a mason jar (evidently that makes it tres fancy!) with a straw and he drinks the whole thing.  He's getting 2-3 servings of fruit and he loves it.  Win-win.  Now, if only I could get Julianna on board...
  5. Working from home.  Yes, I'm repeating myself, I've mentioned that one before, but oh how I love working from home.  I love being accessible if my kids need me (any of my kids, even my oh so grown up son needs a mid-day phone call once in a while).  I love being home to meal plan, cook, do laundry, be.  Such a privilege!  Of course there are days, lots of them recently, where I feel like I get absolutely nothing done, but still I'm thankful that I'm here, the opportunity is there.  If I'm going to work, I'm very thankful that I get to do it on my terms, at home.

5 comments:

Kat said...

That DOES sound like a fabulous week! YAY!
I am so jealous of the new baby. I want one. Maybe I should start an in-home daycare. :)
Congrats on your new laptop and new minivan! WOOHOO!!!
Have a great weekend!

Melisa said...

Welcome back, and yay on the van and the laptop!!

Good to see you blogging. :)
Don't be a stranger!

Mum-me said...

New car, new laptop, new baby ... sounds like it's a good new year so far!!

Susanne said...

Welcome back. Quite the week! I'm so excited for your new van and new laptop. I've never owned a brand new vehicle in my life. And we always, always get extended warranty on our electronics. It's come in mighty handy quite a few times!

Around here most moms take advantage of the full year of maternity leave so I haven't had a wee little one in dayhome for years. A year old is about when I get them.

imbeingheldhostage said...

What a fabulous way to greet 2013. Sounds like this is going to be your year, S!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...