Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are…
Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect Tomorrow.
One day I shall dig my nails into the earth,
or bury my face in my pillow,
or stretch myself taut, or raise my hands to the sky
and want, more than all the world, your return.
- Mary Jean Iron

Monday, June 3, 2013

Meal Plan Monday--June 3, 2013

Ahhh, exhale.  First day of summer vacation and it was positively blissful...and lazy...and everything we'd hoped it would be.  We lounged around like sloths and read or played until 10 AM!!  Then, after we showered and got ready for the day we headed downtown to choose "fun" sheet music for their summer music lessons (Taylor Swift, Imagine Dragons and Movie themes).  I needed milk for dinner so we went to our downtown market which is a wonderful collection of markets and restaurants.  The stall I like to buy milk from was closed but thankfully somewhere else had milk too.  We had a very cheap lunch, picked some things up from Lowes, then back home for a few chores and basically more lazing.  It was a great first day off.  I have to work tomorrow (who thought that was a good idea??), but then I'm off again for a couple of weeks.  We're still busy, the kids' activities are winding down but not down yet (I'm thinking it would be nice if activity schedules could adjust to the school schedule, now that school's done in May, it would be wonderful if activities didn't last into the middle of June), and we'll be striving for that balance of relaxation, activities, chores and responsibilities.  It's all good.  I love summer vacation and I'm very thankful to have a job where that means I get summer off too. 

Here's what's on our meal plan this week:

Sunday dinner:  Taco Salad
Monday:  Ina Garten's lobster mac and cheese, broccoli 
Tuesday (work, dance):  pot luck
Wednesday: Scallops, new potatoes, grilled asparagus
Thursday (drama):   Rosemary grilled chicken w/orange dipping sauce, brown rice, pea pods
Friday (Jacob Cameron’s):  Southwestern Chicken Salads, baguettes
Saturday lunch: out--Art Festival
Saturday dinner:  Tomato & Basil Pasta, bread, special spinach salad
Sunday lunch:  cheese stuffed french toast with strawberries, bacon
Sunday dinner:  OU


The lobster mac and cheese was a splurge from our cancelled weekend that I finally got around to making.  Jacob and Mark loved it.  Julianna not so much.  Me?  I thought it was fine, but if I'm going to spend an absolute fortune of dinner, mac and cheese is not how I would choose to spend it.  Now, even though the recipe said serves 6-8 and even though Mark and Jacob both took seconds, we still barely put a dent in it.  (The picture of the casserole dish is after we were all served for the first time.)  Guess the kids I watch will be dining on lobster mac and cheese tomorrow.  :) 
 
Jacob and Julianna have requested that we have salads once a week this summer.  They don't really make it look like a salad, I put everything out salad bar style and they take what they want.  They love it.  Last night we had taco salads and I made tortilla bowl shells, like in a restaurant (though ours were better!)  I took burrito sized tortillas and brushed them lightly with oil on both sides, draped them over cooking sprayed oven safe bowls on a cookie sheet and baked them at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.  They were incredible!  Give them a try.  Really easy and great results.  I'll be making them again for sure.

Have a wonderful week! 

3 comments:

Kat said...

I love the idea of a salad bar. My kids would LOVE that. Thanks!

Also a bit envious of your first day of summer vacation. Sounds perfect! :)

Susanne said...

Salad bar idea is great! I'm so stealing your idea!

Enjoy your vacation! I have a couple days off coming up and I can hardly wait! This is a really overwhelming month in dayhome.

bluecottonmemory said...

You've made me hungry for tacos - I love tacos with summer tomatoes!!! My boys love salad - I need to stock up on my homemade salad dressings, though! You summer holiday sounds lovely:) I love it when all the schedules just stop!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...